Madonna stayed with prostitutes and junkies



Madge slept in his grotty bedsit

Soft Cell singer Marc Almond says Madonna lived in his flat when she was starting out - and it was a really grimy gaff.

'I didn't meet her, but I was friends with her record sleeve designer,' he explains. 'Madonna was about to do her first promotional tour and our friend asked if she could stay at my bedsit in Earls Court while I was away.'

But Marc says he feels bad about how disgusting it was.

'It was a hell-hole,' he tells Sunday magazine. 'There were prostitutes upstairs, junkies downstairs, and it was a bare room with a bed, nylon sheets, and a kitchenette with dirty plates and a lamp.

'I've always felt ashamed that she stayed in such a pit. If I'd known in 1983 how huge she'd become, I'd have cut up the sheets and sold them on ebay.'